Do you feel HOT right now??.
But no worries, your friendly neighbourhood Tea Sommelier is here! We got the coolest way to chill out for this hot day: granitas.
Have you seen a granita? A granita is a semi-frozen dessert made from sugar, water and various flavourings – it kind of looks like Slurpee, or Japan's famous shaved ice dessert.
Today’s version of this Sicilian classic is not only perfectly refreshing, but also a bit intoxicating (and, of course, infused with tea!).
Tea Recipe: Tropical Peony Granitas
2 cups lukewarm tropical peony tea
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons coconut rum
2 tablespoons pineapple juice
1. Combine all ingredients and stir until sugar melts.
2. Take out a 9 x 13-inch metal pan and pour mixture into it. Pace it on the level shelf in freezer for half an hour. (Mixture should only come about 1/4-inch up the side of the pan.)
3. Remove from freezer and use a dinner fork to scrape any ice crystals that have formed on the side or bottom of the pan.
4. Return to freezer and repeat scraping every 20 to 30 minutes for 3 to 4 hours. Once the mixture is thoroughly frozen, fluff it using a fork and allow flakes to “dry” in freezer another half hour before serving.
5. When served, the granita should look like a fluffy pile of dry crystals.
6. Scoop into goblets and top with barely sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
Save this tea recipe image and print later: