Summer's around the corner, and with it comes scorching heat and relentless thirst. But don't sweat it – literally. There's a cool, delicious solution right at your fingertips: iced tea.
This timeless classic is a popular thirst quencher for a good reason; it's a celebration of flavours, a burst of refreshment, and a way to beat the summer heat. In this blog, we'll explore the top teas for making that perfect glass of iced tea and share some mouthwatering yet simple recipes to keep you hydrated and satisfied all season long – or better yet all year long!
Recommended: Discover Tavalon's premium and fresh iced tea blends here!
The Cool Story of Iced Tea
Nothing says summer like a tall glass of iced tea. It's that quintessential, thirst-quenching beverage that seems custom-made for sweltering days and lazy afternoons. But have you ever wondered where this refreshing drink comes from?
Iced tea's origins can be traced back to the sultry American South. It's said that in the early 19th century, a fellow named Richard Blechynden was trying to promote hot tea at a sweltering fair in Charleston, South Carolina. As you can imagine, it didn't exactly fly off the shelves.
Desperate to attract parched fairgoers, Blechynden decided to try something different. So, he poured his hot tea over ice, creating a cool and crisp beverage that was an instant hit. And just like that, iced tea was born.
Fast forward a couple of centuries, and iced tea has become a global sensation. It's not just a Southern specialty. Rather, it's a worldwide symbol of relaxation and refreshment, now very popular in Australia! From sweet tea on Southern porches to exotic fruit-infused blends, iced tea has evolved into an amazing splash of flavours and styles.
Why Drink Iced Tea? Chillin' with Benefits
Let's raise a glass to the benefits of sipping iced tea on hot summer days.
Hydration: As the temperatures rise, staying hydrated is crucial. Iced tea helps meet your daily fluid needs while tantalising your taste buds.
Zero Sugar: Unlike many sugary summer beverages, iced tea can be sugar-free, offering a guilt-free way to stay refreshed.
Full of Antioxidants: Certain teas, especially herbal blends, oolong, and green, are packed with antioxidants that support overall well-being.
Endless Possibilities: With an array of tea blends at your disposal, you can get creative with flavours, fruits, and garnishes.
Top 6 Teas for Coolest, Yummiest Iced Tea
Craving a unique summertime tradition? Join us as we introduce some of the top blends, their flavours, and the perfect recipes to beat the heat. Cheers to the coolest sip of summer!
1. Caribbean Cocktail
Embrace the tropical vibes with this tantalising blend. Bursting with mango, papaya, red currant, pineapple, apple, orange peel, rose hip, and hibiscus, it's like a vacation in a glass. Steep Caribbean Cocktail fruit tea blend cold for an exotic escape.
2. Peachy Oolong
Oolong tea meets the sweet embrace of peaches, creating a symphony of flavours. Add some sunflower blossoms to the mix, and you have a delicate, aromatic blend that's perfect for hot days.
3. Crimson Punch
Blood orange, cranberry, apple, cherry, and hibiscus join forces in this vibrant blend. It's a fruity, zesty masterpiece that's begging to be turned into a chilled, Crimson Punch.
4. Fruits Dream
Let your taste buds dream with this amazing blend of orange peel, apple, hibiscus, rosehip, elderberry, blackberry leaves, raisin, black currant, and sunflower blossoms. Cold brewed, Fruits Dream a fruity fantasy come true.
5. Rooibos Bilberry
Rooibos and bilberry join hands to create a caffeine-free masterpiece. With licorice, black currant, and mallow in the mix, it's a harmonious blend that's perfect for sipping under the sun.
6. Mango Melange
Black tea meets juicy mango pieces and sunflower blossoms in this delightful blend. Cold brewed, Mango Melange a symphony of flavours that dances on your palate and refreshes you from inside-out!
Iced tea is a wonderfully adaptable drink, and these blends are just the beginning. Besides Caribbean Cocktail, Peachy Oolong, Crimson Punch, Fruits Dream, Rooibos Bilberry, and Mango Melange, you've got a world of options. Black, green, oolong, herbal – there's a tea for every iced tea lover.
Explore our wide array of iced tea choices and discover your go-to summer refresher!
Caribbean Cocktail Iced Tea Recipe
Ingredients: Caribbean Cocktail loose leaf tea, fresh mango chunks, fresh pineapple chunks, slices of orange, fresh mint leaves, ice cubes. (Please note that adding the fruit pieces is optional).
1. In a pitcher, add Caribbean Cocktail and cold water (use about 1 teaspoon of tea per 230 ml of water).
2. Add fresh mango and pineapple chunks, orange slices, and a handful of fresh mint leaves.
3. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight for a full infusion.
4. Pour over ice cubes, garnish with a slice of orange and a sprig of mint, and enjoy your tropical escape!
Flavour Profile: Tropical, fruity, vibrant, sweet, and tart
Peachy Oolong Iced Tea Recipe
Ingredients: Peachy Oolong loose leaf tea, slices of ripe peach, ice cubes
1. In a pitcher, add Peachy Oolong and cold water (use about 1 teaspoon of tea per 230 ml of water).
2. Add slices of ripe peach for extra peachy goodness.
3. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight to allow the flavours to meld.
4. Pour over ice cubes and enjoy the refreshing taste of summer.
Flavour Profile: Peachy, floral, mellow, smooth, and refreshing
Crimson Punch Iced Tea Recipe
Ingredients: Crimson Punch loose leaf tea, cranberry juice, slices of blood orange, fresh cherries, ice cubes
1. In a pitcher, add Crimson Punch and cold water (use about 1 teaspoon of tea per 230 ml of water).
2. Add a splash of cranberry juice for an extra punch of flavour.
3. Then, drop in slices of blood orange and a few fresh cherries.
4. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight to let the vibrant flavours unfold and meld.
5. Finally, pour over ice cubes, garnish with a slice of blood orange and a cherry, and relish the fruity explosion.
Flavour Profile: Tangy, berrylicious, zesty, bright, and bold
Fruits Dream Iced Tea Recipe
Ingredients: Fruits Dream loose leaf tea, slices of orange, slices of apple, fresh blackberries, ice cubes
1. In a pitcher, add Fruits Dream and cold water (use about 1 teaspoon of tea per 230 ml of water).
2. Add slices of orange and apple for a harmonious blend.
3. Then, drop in a handful of fresh blackberries.
4. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight to bring out the optimal flavours.
5. Finally, pour over ice cubes, garnish with a slice of orange and a blackberry, and savour the fruity dream.
Flavour Profile: Fruity fusion, sweet and tangy, and floral notes
Rooibos Bilberry Iced Tea Recipe
Ingredients: Rooibos Bilberry loose leaf tea, fresh bilberries (or blueberries), slices of black currant, ice cubes
1. In a pitcher, add Rooibos Bilberry and cold water (use about 1 teaspoon of tea per 230 ml of water).
2. Add fresh bilberries (or blueberries) and slices of black currant for a berry burst.
3. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight for a full infusion.
4. Pour over ice cubes and indulge in the berry-rich goodness.
Flavour Profile: Earthy, berry-licious, naturally sweet, smooth, and soothing
Mango Melange Iced Tea Recipe
Ingredients: Mango Melange loose leaf tea, fresh mango chunks, ice cubes
1. In a pitcher, add Mango Melange and cold water (use about 1 teaspoon of tea per 230 ml of water).
2. Add fresh mango chunks for a tropical twist.
3. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight to let the flavours fully release and combine.
4. Pour over ice cubes and enjoy the exotic flavours of Mango Melange.
Flavour Profile: Tropical, exotic mango, bright and bold, and refreshingly sweet
Cold Brewing vs Hot Brewing: Crafting the Perfect Iced Tea
When making iced tea, you have two primary methods: cold brewing and hot brewing. These approaches offer distinct ways to enjoy this refreshing drink.
In this method, tea leaves steep in cold or room temperature water for an extended period, typically 8 to 12 hours or even overnight. Cold brewing patiently extracts flavours from the tea leaves, resulting in a smooth, mellow taste with minimal bitterness and reduced caffeine content. Cold brewing creates a nuanced beverage, perfect for relaxed sipping on a hot day.
Conversely, hot brewing is a faster method. Tea leaves steep in hot water, which is then cooled down, often with ice or in the refrigerator. This approach produces a bolder, more robust flavour with a shorter turnaround time. Hot brewing is ideal when you crave a refreshing glass of iced tea without the wait. However, it's crucial to monitor steeping time and temperature to prevent excessive bitterness.
The choice between cold and hot brewing depends on your preferences. Cold brewing results in a mild, subtle iced tea, while hot brewing offers a quicker, more intense flavour. Regardless of the method, both deliver a delightful glass of iced tea to keep you cool and refreshed on warm days.
Cold Brewing vs Flash Chilled Iced Tea
While cold brewing and hot brewing are the primary methods, there's also a hybrid technique known as flash chilled iced tea. This method combines elements of both cold and hot brewing for a unique experience.
With flash chilled iced tea, tea leaves are steeped in hot water, similar to traditional hot brewing. However, instead of waiting for the hot brew to cool naturally, it's rapidly chilled by pouring it over ice or into a container with ice. This quick cool-down preserves the tea's flavours while preventing bitterness and dilution.
Flash chilled iced tea offers the best of both worlds: the full flavour extraction of hot brewing and the immediate refreshment of cold brewing. It's an excellent choice when you want iced tea fast without sacrificing taste.
Let iced tea be your ultimate summer companion, a delightful fusion of flavours and refreshment. Whether you prefer the subtlety of cold brewing or the boldness of hot brewing, there's a sip-worthy iced tea waiting for you. So, grab your favourite blend, toss in some ice, and relish the cool, delicious journey of iced tea – the perfect antidote to the summer heat.
Cheers to a season filled with flavourful sips and endless hydration!